What is Texoma’s “Paw”sitive Promise?
It is our local chapter of America’s Promise, which is a nonprofit organization that is building and strengthening the character and competence of youth by mobilizing the nation to fulfill the Five Promises.
Research shows that if the Five Promises, as defined by America’s Promise, are consistently fulfilled, they can significantly advance the health and well-being of the next generation-increasing the chances of youth becoming successful adults. The Five Promises are:
1. Caring Adults- ongoing relationships with caring adults-parents, mentors, tutors, or coaches-offer youth support, care, and guidance.
2. Safe Places- safe places with structured activities during nonschool hours provide both physical and emotional safety for youth.
3. A Healthy Start- adequate nutrition, exercise, and health care pave the way for healthy bodies, healthy minds, and smart habits for adulthood.
4. Marketable Skills- marketable skills through effective education help youth navigate the transition from school to work successfully.
5. Opportunities to Serve- opportunities to give back through community service enhance self-esteem, boost confidence, and heighten a sense of responsibility to the community.
“I believe that every child is a child of promise, and that all of us-working together as concerned citizens, as caring communities-all of us can give young people the tools to accomplish any goal or task they decide upon.”
America’s Promise Co-Chair, Alma Powell
The Middle School members of TPP have been involved in…
Ministerial Alliance Food Drive
Christmas gifts for the less fortunate (Operation Christmas Child)
Field Day for Primary/Intermediate Schools